Sunday, March 8, 2020

the quest...

The eternal quest..... 

Barbiturate. 

It's a new word popping up on my reading. 

Though I could get the sense of the word from the context,  couldn't help the craziness to find out the meaning.

Thanks to myriads of dictionaries,  here is what the word conveys:


barbiturate

/bɑːˈbɪtjʊrət,bɑːˈbɪtjʊreɪt/
Learn to pronounce

noun
any of a class of sedative and sleep-inducing drugs derived from barbituric acid.

CHEMISTRY
a salt or ester of barbituric acid.

Is it time we should go for drugs especially allopathic ones sparingly? 

No. I'm not an expert to deal at length on it. 

Yet can't help instinctively feel that frequency to pop up a tablet like lollipops somehow psychologically kills the natural healing system.  This in spite of world scaring corona. 

For your curiosity sake you may check it up with your doctor,  the family doctor. 

They won't spill the bean. 

My best half complained to my cardiologist that I'm not regular in taking medicines. 

He stared at me and posed, "why?".

I said, "sorry Dr.  Somehow I have an apprehension.  That these pollute our anatomy with chronic side effects."

He shot back, "hurrey, that's just very negligible not even about 2%.  I warn you please don't skip your medicines."



Do I mean never to follow prescriptions? 

Never ever. 

I feel like sharing my hide and seek tryst with prescribed drugs. 

In my sojourn of 4 days to Kashi I had not taken pressure and heart medicines. I was feeling absolutely fine. Of course I didn't check the BP.  There was walking,  walking and climbing stairs all the four days morning till night.  Though the body craved for rest,  we didn't feel unhearty or kind of any restlessness. Even as Kashi was wintry. Perhaps the body temperature due to lot of walking kept us warm. 

Back then to Chennai at its tropical best. 

Cough, strain to breathe and Eosinophilic asthma kept me on hook for a whole week.  I managed without drugs for about initial two days.  Third day couldn't manage any longer.  Dashed off that night to Doctor. His stethoscope intimated BP was normal - mind you even while skipping pressure medicine. But to ease off cough,  eosinophil he started scripting his prescription of 5 days course. 

This time I obeyed like tamed pet. 

Though the strain seemed to decline very slowly, it didn't go off fully even after I completed the full course of prescription. 

But couple of days later I just felt normal. 

The dhyan, accepting that you are not doing well, I'm afraid plays magical role in restoring normal health. Acknowledge medicine may play a complementary role but not full role. 

Even in the case of corona! 




No comments:

Post a Comment